We knew our 4 Silkie’s would be arriving soon, next up would be setting up their home sweet home a/k/a brooder. I knew I wanted their brooder to have a large window so we could watch Chicken TV and also wanted to make sure our dog would get used to seeing the chicks as well.
We got ourselves a 17 gallon Rubbermaid tote and cut a window and inserted a piece of Plexiglas. I then cut a whole in the lid so we could put a metal grate on top which ended up being a side to one of our dog crates. In the book “City Chicks” the author recommends a Reflectix brooder blanket for the top to control warmth and air control. I ended up using a thick piece of cardboard wrapped in tinfoil, this worked well to keep the brooder a nice toasty 95 degrees.
- Rubbermaid Tote
- Piece of Plexiglas
- Fluker's Dimmable 75 watt Clamp Lamp
- 75 watt red heat light
- Aspen Pine
- Metal grate for top
- Large piece of cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil with hole cut in center for lamp
- Chick Feeder
- Chick Waterer
- Organic Chick Starter
- Sav-A-Chick Supplement
- Small digital thermometer
- Small chick sandbox (small Tupperware container)
- Almost forgot.....lots of duct tape.
Brooder was all set, just waiting to house some baby chicks. Hubby was at work, I was moving some perennials in the yard. My daughter was in and out of the house playing on the swing set and helping me transplant the perennials. I walked into the house and smelled smoke. In a panic I ran to the laundry room, upstairs, downstairs – where the hell was the smoke coming from? For lack of better words, I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off , I know poor choice of words but that’s all that comes to mind and that’s exactly what it looked like. The fire alarm didn’t go off, but there was definitely something on fire.
THEN, I see smoke billowing from the dining room where the brooder was housed. My dear daughter, who is 6 ½, had turned on the light, placed it inside the bottom of the brooder and walked away…. What a scary experience. It scared the absolute hell out of both of us. I’m so grateful I caught it in time.
Check out the 3" burn through the plastic and on our dining room chair –
|All Patched Up!|